Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Howling in Donetsk

Pepe Escobar
Asia Times


Asia Times' roving correspondent Pepe Escobar just returned from a reporting trip to the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), the pro-Russian enclave in the Donetsk Oblast province of eastern Ukraine. The area's been the scene of heavy fighting between pro-Russian rebels and the Ukrainian military.

I've just been to the struggling Donetsk People's Republic. Now I'm back in the splendid arrogance and insolence of NATOstan.

Quite a few people - in Donbass, in Moscow, and now in Europe - have asked me what struck me most about this visit.

I could start by paraphrasing Allen Ginsberg in Howl - "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness".

But these were the Cold War mid-1950s. Now we're in early 21st century Cold War 2.0 .

Thus what I saw were the ghastly side effects of the worst minds of my - and a subsequent - generation corroded by (war) madness.

I saw refugees on the Russian side of the border, mostly your average middle-class European family whose kids, when they first came to the shelter, would duck under tables when they heard a plane in the sky.  


Read more

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...