Search This Blog

Monday 24 February 2014

The Surveillance State is Metaphorical: They’re Already in Your Head

Disinfo.com

Now, I’m not saying I’m a supporter of the surveillance state or anything like that. It’s hyper creepy as all get out. As a matter of fact, before I even get into that level of sketch I’ll first focus on the bright side. One thing that no one seems to philosophically contemplate nearly enough these days is how quickly we’ve plunged ourselves into increasingly fantasy centric lifestyles. Why is that? Our lives are cripplingly boring and we’re forced into these alternate dimensions of thought as a reflex. I mean, how many of us actually find any sort of fulfillment in our supposed “careers”. Like 2% optimistically? I think I’m being generous with that. I mean, increasingly intertwined mind rape corporations are currently taking home record profits, and who the fuck grows up thinking, “I want to work at the Pizza Hut corporate office one day.”

Fucking no one….ever…and yet, uber boring places like that are where a crap ton of us end up, gladly, because the alternative is further selling our lives down the rabbit hole of higher education, which may or may not make things better for us and costs an ass ton of money. Oh wait, I’m supposedly talking about the good things in life here aren’t I? Well, the good news is that this consumerist culture we’ve created has given us the tools to completely implode into our own little micro-verses quite effectively.

It is so odd to think about the fact that I was one of the first generations to grow up addicted to video games and that the video games I grew up with basically sucked. I barely even used the internet until I was in college. Seriously. That’s how quick this shit is moving. I have my entire music collection at my fingertips at all times these days. It took me years of obsessively combing CD stores to find half that stuff. Just mindblowing potentialities here but we’ve got to pull our shit together. More importantly, we’ve got to ask ourselves why we’re increasingly fleeing inwardly into the realms of our wildest imaginations? I mean, TV is a relatively new invention. When you think back on most of human history, it was plays and books, occasionally. It used to be hard to find decent entertainment in most places in the world. We’re now consuming a constant stream of exotic information all day every day.

I suppose magick has a lot to do with regulating that intake to your distinct advantage, but it also has a lot to do with looking at these things subjectively and metaphorically rather than in the objective literal way we’re trained by our culture. There’s only so far you can go with that. We’ve created enough bizarre wasteful techno knick knacks to power our lives for another trillion centuries. At what point do we break free from the idea that we should continue churning them out and start making them turn us in. 

Read more

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...