Search This Blog

Thursday 19 February 2015

Jeb Bush claims 'I'm my own man', but he has a very familiar foreign policy team

Comment: The Bush dynasty is back (though in truth they never left) and it's Jeb's turn to enter the revolving door of  that quaint idea we wistfully call "elections." 

------------------- 
" Perhaps the most controversial name on Mr Bush’s team sheet is Paul Wolfowitz, who worked for Reagan and for both Bush administrations, and who, as George W Bush’s deputy defence secretary, was a leading advocate for the invasion of Iraq."
The Independent 

In his first major foreign policy speech since mooting a 2016 presidential run, Jeb Bush sought to distance himself from the legacy of his brother, admitting mistakes were made in Iraq, and called for the world to “take out” Isis.

Noting the inevitable comparisons between himself and presidents George HW and George W Bush, the former governor of Florida said: “I love my father and my brother. I admire their service to the nation and the difficult decisions they had to make. But I am my own man – and my views are shaped by my own thinking.”

He has previously backed the Iraq War but today he admitted that “there were mistakes made in Iraq for sure”. However, he credited his brother with sending a surge of troops that helped quell the insurgency at the time.

Mr Bush made the remarks at an event hosted by non-partisan think-tank the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. He was “lucky”, he said, to have a father and brother who both “shaped America’s foreign policy”. But, he went on, “every president inherits a changing world… and changing circumstances”.

Read more (if you can stomach it). 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...