Search This Blog

Sunday 12 June 2016

Is digital connection causing us to lose touch with our sense of touch?

Lauren Suval
PsychCentral


In a society where digital connections are accepted as the norm, "Skinship," written and directed by London-based filmmaker Nichola Wong, implores us to ask a disconcerting question: are we losing touch with our sense of touch, with human skin-to-skin contact?

"'Skinship' was conceived on an idyllic beach in San Sebastian, where I found myself captivated by a group of 20-something Europeans, whose obsession with their devices rendered them oblivious to the beauty that surrounded them and also one another," Wong told me via email. "I thought it was a shame, but I thought 'who was I to judge?' I'd done the very same on many occasions. It was something that got me thinking about my own relationship with technology, and I had observed at that time in my life that I was feeling very disconnected from myself with the increasing prevalence of technology in my day-to-day life."
From an evolutionary perspective, the physical and emotional need for touch is vital. "In recent years, a wave of studies has documented some incredible emotional and physical health benefits that come from touch," according to Daniel Keltner, the founding director of the Greater Good Science Center and professor of psychology at University of California, Berkeley in a 2015 Psychology Today article. Strong team dynamics, decline in disease and greater nonsexual emotional intimacy are just a few of the reasons cited. "This research is suggesting that touch is truly fundamental to human communication, bonding and health."

Read more 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...