Search This Blog

Saturday 13 October 2018

Overview of past month in Syria

Eva Bartlett
In Gaza

Back home two nights ago after a series of flights and bus rides. Before I got on the last bus (on which I kept falling asleep as it was 4 am in Lebanon/Syria and my internal clock is still tuned into that time), an employee of the bus company asked if I was ‘that reporter who goes to Syria’, and when I replied with my name, he made a gesture of respect (hand on head) and thanked me. Turns out he is a Palestinian from Nazareth originally, living in Canada, and follows my efforts for Palestine and Syria, and had been trying to get in touch with me somehow.

I’ve commented before and will say it again: it’s encounters like these that make efforts worthwhile, and I’ve happily had many such encounters over the years, including two days ago while in Beirut airport. 

https://www.facebook.com/EvaBoBeeva/posts/2138547842821865

I remember a year ago in a German airport meeting Syrians who were living in Germany for their studies but were completely patriotic and support their country, army and president.

https://www.facebook.com/EvaBoBeeva/posts/1694015380608449

…or messages from Syrians living abroad, like this one:
  https://www.facebook.com/EvaBoBeeva/posts/1870578789618773

The morally bankrupt “journalists” of the regime-change alliance can attack us (because they attack many of us, anyone, essentially, who effectively combats their narratives, including Syrian and Lebanese analysts/voices), but when someone from a country that is being targeted by Empire thanks me, that is more reward than anything else. : )

Also, a thanks to all who I met or spent time with on this last visit to Syria, just over a month of time there. While I only went to a smaller number of places this time versus previous visits, I’m still very glad I was able to get to Mhardeh, Maaloula, Daraa, and the Damascus International Fair–I’ll post links to those at bottom.

Read more

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...